Working with Trauma and PTSD: A Massage Perspective, Kerrville, TX
Live class in Kerrville, TX
(6 hours Texas and NCBTMB CE’s)
Michelle Burns, BSN, BSAlt.Med., LMT, MTI, CEP, BCTMB.
Date/Time: September 29, 2019, 9:00am – 3:30pm
Location: La Quinta Inn, 1940 Sidney Baker St, Kerrville, TX 78028
Early Registration: $129.00, until 9/15/19
Regular Registration: $159.00 thereafter
PTSD is the abbreviation for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. It is a psychiatric disorder that can occur following the experience or witnessing of a life-threatening event. About 10 percent of women and 5 percent of men will experience PTSD in their lifetime with about 1 in 30 adults in the United States suffering from the disorder at any given time and about 8 percent of American will be diagnosed in their lifetime.
This one day class provides a basic understanding of PTSD, trauma and its effects.
While exploring signs and symptoms or PTSD and trauma, the characteristics of the 3 classes of PTSD, and the different ways PTSD and trauma can manifest during a session, we will learn how massage therapy can positively impact clients suffering from these conditions.
What you will learn:
- The definition of PTSD and acute trauma
- The 3 classes of PTSD and the symptoms
- What are the common traditional treatments for PTSD
- What are common alternative treatments for PTSD
- review of research evidence for massage for those with PTSD
- What to do if your client has a crisis
- The three stages of a massage treatment plan
- Hands-on practice of light touch techniques